Volunteers play a huge role in the strength of our organization, helping us to provide every student the instruction and support they need as they work toward literacy, improving language skills, citizenship, better jobs, and better lives.
At Literacy Source we believe:
The wealth of skills, talents, ideas, and resources volunteers bring to the program, plus their hours of patient dedication, provides an environment that enhances the student’s ability to learn.
Creating a trusting relationship between volunteer and student(s) is invaluable to the success of our mission. Careful recruitment and matching of volunteer skills with a student, class, or support position helps to build a valuable experience for both volunteer and student.
Offering a helpful and educational environment, instructional and ongoing training, and support benefits each volunteer’s needs and own personal growth.
Depending on your interests, skills, location, and time, there are a variety of opportunities available at different locations:
- Tutor students one-on-one in reading and writing, math, ESOL, citizenship, work skills, or GED prep
- Co-teach a class of 8-20 students in reading and writing, math, ESOL, citizenship, work skills, conversation skills, or GED prep
- Provide program support
- Help organize our resource library
- Give practice citizenship interviews to naturalization applicants
- Facilitate one-on-one reading tests
- Work as an office manager in the afternoons or evenings
- Proctor student assessments
KING COUNTY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
- Tutor students one-on-one in either ESOL, reading and writing, or math (FAQs about volunteering at KCCF)
Be an ESOL classroom assistant with our Ready to Work classes in Rainier Valley, or in our SeaTac or Tukwila classes
Ready to volunteer? Come to orientation, which is the first step to volunteering at Literacy Source.
New Volunteer Orientations (NVOs) are held the first Wednesday of the month (unless otherwise noted due to a holiday) at 1 pm or 7 pm. Check out our events calendar for upcoming orientation dates.
Please contact Caroline by email or phone (206-782-2050) if you have any questions or you are unable to attend any of the upcoming sessions.