Based out of our Learning Center at 3200 NE 125th St, in the Lake City neighborhood of Seattle.
About Literacy Source
Literacy Source is a non-profit community learning center in Seattle providing free basic education to nearly 700 adults annually from underserved populations. Our mission is to build a literate community and promote self-sufficiency by providing learner-centered instruction in English literacy and basic life skills. Literacy Source encourages and celebrates life-long learning and works to create a just society that supports the needs of adult learners.
Position description and duties
The Development Associate will assist with the expansion and diversification of our funding base and creatively pursue resource development opportunities to expand our base of supporters. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, this position will oversee Literacy Source’s donor database, assist with organizing events, coordinate the direct mail appeals, track and support individual donor stewardship efforts, assist with grant applications and reports, and conduct outreach as directed to increase awareness of our programs.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the development team to develop and implement annual fundraising plan
- Assist in planning and coordinating fundraising events including the annual breakfast
- Implement donor stewardship plan, including cultivating individual donors
- Assist with meetings with current and prospective donors and funders, including preparing materials and coordinating follow-up
- Assist Executive Director with developing and submitting grant proposals
- Assist with the timely filing of final grant reports
- Coordinate direct mail appeals targeted to current and prospective donors
- Ensure all gifts are accurately entered and acknowledged in a timely manner in the Little Green Light donor database
- Perform donor record maintenance and database clean-up processes
- Create reports and analyze donor trends
- Provide staff support to the Fund Development Committee
- Staff workplace giving presentations, tabling, and special events
- Help coordinate twice yearly student/community celebrations
- Maintain and update database for student and community outreach
- Assist Communications Manager with social media and on-line fundraising campaigns
- Conduct outreach as directed to increase awareness of Literacy Source
- Produce flyers and other informational pieces for outreach and marketing
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic, collaborative professional with a bachelor's degree and/or 1 to 2 years work experience in a relevant field, and some experience in fundraising and/or marketing. Must demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills, adaptability, and the ability to work independently. The position requires strong attention to detail, the ability to develop timelines and meet deadlines, and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe products and database systems. Demonstrated commitment to the nonprofit sector is important.
Compensation and benefits
$18.50 per hour. Vacation and sick time provided.
This is a part-time position, 20 hours/week. Hours take place during open hours at our Learning Center, with additional hours on Fridays as needed.
How to apply
Submit a resume and cover letter by email to Lynn Livesley.
Open until filled.