Community ESOL Conversation Class Coordinator
The Literacy Source Learning Center is located at 3200 NE 125th in the Lake City neighborhood of Seattle. This position will work on-site at the Learning Center as well as facilitate conversation classes throughout the community.
About Literacy Source:
Literacy Source is a non-profit community learning center in Seattle providing free instruction to nearly 700 adults annually from underserved populations. Our mission is to build a literate community and promote self-sufficiency by providing learner-centered instruction in English literacy and basic life skills. Literacy Source encourages and celebrates life-long learning and works to create a society that understands and supports the needs of adult learners.
position Description and Duties:
Literacy Source partners with the Seattle Public Library to offer Conversational English classes throughout the community. The Community ESOL Coordinator will help facilitate three classes in public library settings, as well as two classes on-site at the Literacy Source Learning Center, and will recruit, orient, train and support community volunteers to serve as conversation partners for students. Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and serve as instructional lead for weekly multi-level Conversation classes in three Seattle Public Library locations (Central, Beacon Hill and Lake City branches)
- Coordinate and serve as instructional lead for twice weekly multi-level Conversation classes at Literacy Source
- Develop ongoing curriculum, including building in opportunity for reading fluency practice in Literacy Source classes
- Monitor student progress, providing learning recommendations and support to volunteers
- Coordinate and conduct orientation and training for volunteers and provide ongoing support and supervision
- Serve as the main point of contact for individuals interested in tutoring in the Conversation Classes, and work with Literacy Source Volunteer Coordinator to conduct outreach to recruit new volunteers
- Coordinate the on-boarding process for volunteers, including interviewing, screening, orienting and working with Library staff to ensure compliance with necessary training and procedures
- Maintain records and documentation in accordance with contract requirements, including tracking and reporting volunteer hours on a monthly basis
- Plan and coordinate volunteer recognition opportunities for Library volunteers
- Participate in periodic all-staff meetings/trainings at Literacy Source
- Minimum of one year experience teaching ESOL in community based setting
- At least one year experience coordinating volunteers
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment with immigrant adults
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated competence in interpersonal relationships and group facilitation.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and appreciation for working with diverse groups
- Ability to work independently and prioritize competing demands
- Willing to work flexible hours, including evenings and occasional weekends.
- Degree in TESOL, Adult Basic Education; Education or related field
- Experience working in a non-profit agency with clients of diverse backgrounds
Part-time; 15+ hours per week. Schedule must include availability during planned Conversation classes, including:
Literacy Source – T/Th (9-10:30 am) and M/W (4:15-5:45 pm)
Lake City Library – Tuesdays, 6- 7:30 pm
Central Library – Wednesdays, 2-3:30 pm
Beacon Hill Library – Saturdays, 10:30 am-12 pm
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter by email to Lynn Livesley, Executive Director.
Open until filled.
AmeriCorps ESOL and Citizenship Instructors
Literacy Source is accepting applications for two AmeriCorps ESOL and Citizenship Instructors for the 2017-18 program year. Find out more and apply on the AmeriCorps website.